What is a DOS Code?
The Description of Service (DOS) code is a three character code used to identify the various types of compensation in the Personnel Payroll System (PPS). A DOS code is entered in the Appointment Distribution of the Employee Data Base (EDB) record and in Payroll Time Reporting (PTR) to report time worked, leave usage, and other payments. The DOS code is also used to track information for record keeping and reporting purposes.
There are over 300 DOS codes loaded in the PPS, each hard-coded with unique attributes such as taxation conditions and inclusion or exclusion in retirement totals to ensure that the DOS Code selected will provide the correct payment result. The DOS code is a control factor in various programs of the PPS. The following are some examples of how the DOS code is used in the PPS:
- In the employee updating process to validate the descriptions of service allowed in appointment distributions in the EDB
- The editing of time and adjustment input to the payroll process
- The expense distribution process to retrieve object codes and drive the expense distribution for each payment type
- The range adjustment process to identify payment types eligible for range adjustment
- Several print programs such as the check write in payroll disbursement to retrieve a verbal description of the payment
- The processing of cancellation, overpayment, and hand-drawn check transactions
Complete lists of DOS codes:
PPP0410 Control File - DOS Code Table: This is a full view of the DOS Code Table in the PPS including the attributes of each code. It is a system-generated report and is available through Document Direct. A description of the indicators that appear in this report is available in Related Information (DOS Code Table - PPP0410 Report Description).
DOS Codes - Alphabetical Order: This is a chart consisting of a list of the DOS codes with some additional information that is useful for updating in EDB and reporting in PTR. A description of the columns on this chart and a link to the report are available in the Related information (DOS Code List Column Description).