Web EDB Application
he Web EDB Application is an enhancement to the Personnel/Payroll System’s (PPS) Employee Database (EDB) entry process. With the release of the Web EDB Application, preparers will have two options to enter personnel transactions into PPS, either through the WEB EDB interface or via the Customer Information Control System (CICS) function screens (also known as OASIS functions screens). Data entered using the Web EDB Application will appear in all OASIS inquiry screens, and in the Web EDB Inquiry as soon as the process is updated.
Current Web EDB Application Processes
EDB Preparers can use the Web EDB Application to process the following transactions:
- New Hire
- Change Existing Employee Record (change in funding source, update leave code, title code, etc.)
- Additional processing actions i.e., separations, leave of absence are scheduled to be released at a later date.
Benefits of the Web EDB Application
The features that make the Web EDB Application a major innovation in EDB processing are:
- Smart Processing guides the processor.
- Drop down menus for fields.
- Labels and help are in "English" not in code.
- The application allows the preparer to create templates for data that are frequently used.
- Onboard help features lead the user to additional information, including policies which affect the selection of the proper entry.
The Smart Processing feature interprets the answer to specific questions to determine if additional information is required for the processing of the action for a specific individual. Based on the answer, if additional information is required, the needed fields appear for entry.
The Web EDB Application takes advantage of web-based technology to allow for search features which help the preparer complete entries, provides drop-down boxes or calendars to assist the preparer with other entries. In other cases, the answer to one question provides the program with information needed to fill in other fields.
Advantages of the Web EDB Application over the PPS Bundles
The application provides several features not available in CICS:
- A summary of the action is provided before the update. This feature allows the user to edit data before updating the action.
- The Review Messages and Update screen allows the processor to fix the issue from that screen or return to the entry screen to make the adjustment.
- While the process requires the completion of each screen before proceeding to the next, the navigation feature allows the user easy mobility between completed screens either by the use of directional icons or by clicking on the page needed on the application outline, which always appears on the left side of the screen.
- For a New Hire action, after the update of the transaction, an IDOC version of the action appears.
- All IDOCs are printable from the user's locally selected printer.
In order to use the Web EDB Application, the user must have the following:
- EDB update access in OASIS.
- A University logon and password. Since the Web EDB is a web-based application, the user's OASIS logon and password cannot be used.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher, or Safari, or Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or higher, Google Chrome.