Become a BruinCard Merchant
Summary: BruinCard is UCLA's identification for 34,000 students and 20,000 faculty and staff, and a great business opportunity. Money deposited to a BruinCard Easy Pay account can be used to make debit purchases at restaurants and stores on and off campus.
The UCLA BruinCard can serve as a stored-value card, similar to a prepaid phone card. It is available to all UCLA faculty, staff, and students. Money deposited to a BruinCard Easy Pay account can be used to make debit purchases at restaurants and stores all over campus and in Westwood Village.
Merchants who join the program will be given marketing materials to display around their stores acknowledging that the BruinCard is accepted at their locations. Materials include countertop displays and decals for the windows and entryways. Participating merchants will also be listed on all BruinCard advertisements and printed materials. Additionally, merchants will be listed on the BruinCard website, which is updated regularly with new merchant information.
Westwood Village merchants interested in participating in the BruinCard debit program must take the following steps:
- Complete the Merchant Agreement (available upon request). Businesses whose primary purpose is the sale of alcohol or illicit drug paraphernalia will not be approved to participate in the program.
- Agree to the terms set forth in the Merchant Agreement.
- Mail completed application and agreement forms to the address listed below, Attention: New Merchant.
Upon receiving notification of acceptance into the BruinCard Program:
- Purchase and install a VeriFone Tranz 380X2 card reader and any compatible receipt printer from your bank, from the terminal setup company in the related information link, or a retailer of your choice.
- Once you have your equipment, contact the BruinCard Center to schedule a technician to complete the connection to the BruinCard system (which takes two to three days).
In exchange for the services provided (including operation of the card program, account management, promotional activities, etc.) each merchant must agree to pay the University a 4% service charge on BruinCard sales. The University will reimburse merchants for net sales processed via BruinCard, less the 4% commission, via an ACH electronic payment directly to a designated bank account. BruinCard has no per-transaction fee or monthly fees.