Depositing a Gift Check
Gift money comes to the University as either Regental gifts or UCLA Foundation gifts.
- Regental gifts - directly donated to the University and recorded in the University books as gift income. Please follow the instruction below to deposit Regental gift monies. Also see related information for "Regents Gift Transmittal Form" that must be sent to Gift Services along with a copy of the completed deposit record. When General Accounting receives the acknowledgment from Gift Services, funds of $100,000.00 or less will be released, less the 6.5% administrate fee, and appropriated to the department via a Transfer of Funds.
- UCLA Foundation gifts – directly donated to the Foundation for investment then transferred to campus when requested. See related information "UCLA Foundation Transmittal Form" for steps on depositing Foundation funds.
Guidelines for Depositing Regental Gifts Monies
- The Loc-Account-Fund is always 4-116030-54805.
- The SOURCE and PROJECT fields should remain empty.
- The DESCRIPTION field should have the donor's name and check number. (For example: Bruin, Joe/5512). Record each gift check separately, and remember to keep a copy.
- Example: Using the list below, if a gift is being deposited in the month of May and intended for existing fund #41234, the REFERENCE #field should contain K41234. If the deposit is being made in May and is intended for a new fund that has not been established yet, the REFERENCE #field should contain Kxxxxx.
The REFERENCE # field should be completed with the letter that corresponds to the month in which the gift is deposited followed by the fund number for which the gift is intended (see the list below).
If the gift is to be appropriated to a new fund that has not yet been established, use the reference number that corresponds to the month according to the list below (under Fund Not Established).
Chart for Assigning Reference Number
for Fund not Established
|July||A||A <fund number>||Axxxxx|
|August||B||B <fund number>||Bxxxxx|
|September||C||C <fund number>||Cxxxxx|
|October||D||D <fund number>||Dxxxxx|
|November||E||E <fund number>||Exxxxx|
|December||F||F <fund number>||Fxxxxx|
|January||G||G <fund number>||Gxxxxx|
|February||H||H <fund number>||Hxxxxx|
|March||I||I <fund number>||Ixxxxx|
|April||J||J <fund number>||Jxxxxx|
|May||K||K <fund number>||Kxxxxx|
|June||L||L <fund number>||Lxxxxx|