Establishing a New Fund Number
Procedures for establishing a new fund number will vary by fund type.
- Sales and Service Funds: a fund application must be completed/submitted to the Sales & Service unit in Corporate Financial Services. Follow the procedures listed on the application. The Sales & Service unit reviews all applications and if approved, forwards them to General Accounting for processing. General Accounting assigns a new fund and notifies the departmental contact when the process is complete.
- Gift Funds:
- Regental Gifts: complete a Regents Gift Transmittal Form, be sure to include a copy of the deposit record. Follow form instructions. (Note: please provide an expense account in the appropriate field to expedite the processing of your new fund). Once the form is completed/submitted, Gift Administration reviews data for completeness/approval and forwards documents to General Accounting for processing. General Accounting assigns a new fund number and notifies the departmental contact when the process is complete.
- Foundation Gifts: complete a UCLA Foundation Monetary Transfer Form through the MTF system (MTF system requires department access authorization), the MTF is a request to the Foundation to wire money to The Regents. Follow form instructions. (Note: please write "Establish New Fund" in the "University Acct #" field on the MTF form, General Accounting will receive a copy of the request from the Foundation. Also, provide an expense account/cc to expedite the processing of your new fund number). The Foundation will wire the money to the Regents. After funds are received, General Accounting assigns a new fund number and notifies the departmental contact when the process is complete.
- Endowment Income: fund numbers are established in General Accounting under the direction of the Office of the President at the time the first allocation of income is transferred to campus. The fund number will be based on the fund profile which identifies the fund as a true endowment or as a fund acting as an endowment.
- Agency Funds: send a written request to Dana Broadbooks in General Accounting. Your letter should identify the purpose of the activity and be accompanied by any supporting documentation, if available. In addition, please provide an account fund to be charged in the event of an overdraft.
- Contract and Grant Funds: fund numbers for federal, state agencies, local government and private sponsors are established during the final phase of the award setup process by Extramural Fund Management (EFM). For projects using general funds or special state appropriations, the fund numbers are designated by the UC program administering the project.