Skip to Main Content

Public Records Request FAQs

  • What is a Public Records Request?
  • Individuals request information from the University under the California Public Records Act.
  • What do I do if I receive one?
  • Direct or forward the correspondence to

  • Should my department take action?
  • If your department maintains the documents requested, you will be sent an official letter requesting the records. Our office will coordinate the response on your behalf and copy your department on all correspondence.

  • Does my department redact the documents?
  • You must produce documents in their entirety to the Information Practices Coordinator. Any necessary redactions will be done by the office of the Information Practices Coordinator. The redacted copies or a letter stating the request is denied will be sent directly to the requestor.

  • What if I still have questions?
  • If you have questions pertaining to public records requests, please contact (310) 794-8741 or email