UCLA Records Retention Guidelines
In 1963 President Clark Kerr established a Records Management Program for the University and appointed a University-wide Records Management Committee to coordinate the program at the campuses and at the Office of the President.
Objectives of the Program
- To assure economy and efficiency in the creation, organization, maintenance, use and retrieval of administrative records
- To promote sound records management practices
- To establish and monitor a program of records disposition to assure that University records are not maintained longer than necessary, but are maintained as long as needed to meet administrative and legal requirements
- To ensure the protection of records vital to the University
- To ensure the preservation of records of historical importance
If you have questions concerning the retention of records in your department, contact Elvis Downs at (310) 794-8960.