Skip to Main Content

How to Apply for a Social Security Number

All individuals employed at UCLA must have a U.S. Social Security number (SSN). If you don't already have a SSN, you must visit a Social Security Administration (SSA) office in person and submit Form SS-5 (Application for SSN) along with original documentation verifying your age, identity, immigration status and authority to work in the United States.

International Students & Scholars

All international students and scholars who have been offered employment at UCLA need to first visit the Dashew Center to show their original offer letter of employment to determine eligibility for a Social Security number.

  • F-1 student workers must show their Form I-20, passport, I-94 card and Visa.
  • J-1 exchange visitors will also need to show Form DS-2019, in addition to the above documents.

Your Social Security card should arrive approximately two to four weeks after the SSA has received all of the required information.

Local SSN Office

The Social Security office closest to UCLA is located in the City National Bank building on the corner of Olympic Boulevard and Colby Avenue, west of the I-405 freeway:

Social Security
11500 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

From the UCLA campus, you can take the number 8 or 12 Big Blue Bus and transfer to the number 5.