Skip to Main Content

Obtaining a UCLA Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An employer identification number (EIN), also known as a federal tax identification number, is used to identify a business entity. UCLA's main employer identification number is 95-6006143.

UCLA’s related organizations and certain departments have separate EINs, which are listed in the UC Accounting Manual.

If a department at UCLA believes it needs a unique taxpayer ID number to distinguish itself from the general taxpayer ID number, or needs to change a name or address to an existing EIN, the department must contact Tax Services, which is the Office of Record for all EINs at UCLA.

For information on responding to requests for the EIN or other taxpayer ID numbers for UCLA, see the article "Requests for UCLA's Taxpayer ID Numbers" in Related Information.

Requesting an Employer Identification Number

Follow the procedure below to obtain a new EIN for your department.




1. Submit a request to Tax Services.

The department representative must send an email to Tax Services indicating the reason a new EIN is needed and provide any backup information to indicate the reason for establishing a new EIN (or for making a name or address change).

Some of the reasons for establishing a new EIN are for patient billing or insurance purposes. Other organizations, like the UCLA Foundation, have their own unique EIN because they are separate legal entities.

2. Tax Services completes the application.


If the department’s request is approved by Tax Services, the tax consultant will complete an SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number) and fax the form to the Internal Revenue Service on behalf of the requesting party.

Tax Services will receive the new EIN over the phone, so the department can begin to use it immediately.

3. Receive confirmation from the IRS.

The Internal Revenue Service will confirm the new EIN by sending a 147C Letter to Tax Services to verify the new federal taxpayer ID number.

Tax Services will provide a copy to the department for their records.

Departments can send the 147C Letter to vendors to verify the taxpayer ID number. Note: requests for UCLA's EINs are generally provided on Form W-9 (see Related Information).

Requests for 147C Letters should be sent to Tax Services if the department needs confirmation of its EIN from the IRS. Tax Services will request the 147C Letters on behalf of UCLA.

4. Use the new number.

Once the EIN application has been processed, use of the name and number must be reported on all federal forms and tax-related correspondence exactly the way they appear on the original SS-4 application.