UCLA Student Finance Solutions (SFS) administers the Employee Recognition and Reward Program (ERRP), in which non-cash awards in the form of either gift cards, e-codes, or BruinCard Easy Pay deposits are distributed for the purchase of goods (not services). The Student Accounts Office (SAO) assists in coordinating disbursements. Please review the University and IRS Regulations for employee recognition requests and expand the instructions for submitting a request based on the applicable disbursement type.
University & IRS Regulations
-Requesting departments must be in compliance with BUS-49 (Policy for Cash and Cash Equivalence Received), UCLA Policy 361 (Cash Handling and Security), UC G-41 (Employee Non-Cash Awards), and UCLA Safe Requirements (if storing gift cards). -University of California Policy G-41 states non-cash awards may not exceed $75.00 per award, per employee, with a maximum of three awards per employee per calendar year. For retirement award restrictions, please refer to Policy G-41. It is the awarding department and employee’s responsibility to maintain a record of award amounts and their recipients in order to ensure the maximum is not exceeded. In the event an employee receives recognition exceeding these limits, it must be reported on their W-2 (please consult with the employee’s HR for reporting procedures). -For awards that do not qualify as employee recognition, including disbursement requests for non-employees, please review disbursement request types and follow the appropriate instructions. -Departments are responsible for Mitigating Risk of Fraud for cash and cash equivalents (gift cards and e-codes). SFS cannot assume any liability for reimbursing compromised cash, physical cards, or e-Codes, which should be immediately reported to UCPD.
Gift Card / E-Code Disbursement Instructions
- Employee Recognition Requests for Gift Card/ E-Code disbursements are completed through a combination of the Employee Recognition Portal on MyUCLA and the MyUCLA Message Center. You can track the status of your request on the Employee Recognition Portal.
Resource Function Gift Card Catalog
Review prior to initiating your request in order to determine the gift card denominations, amounts, and associated fees.
Note: Only Target/Amazon gift card and e-codes are available for employee recognition requests. The e-codes may be delivered through Tremendous, but the recipient will not be able to change the gift card merchant.
Cashiering Services and Supplies Guide Review prior to initiating your request to determine armored courier (Brink's) fees for gift card delivery, if applicable. Navigating the Employee Recognition Portal A step-by-step guide to navigating the Employee Recognition Portal on MyUCLA Gift Card Portal Status Map A high-level, end-to-end visual guide for the Employee Recognition Portal, based on request status Employee Recognition Portal on MyUCLA
Log into MyUCLA with a UCLA Logon ID and Password. Click on the Staff tab. Select Business and Finance Manager. Select Employee Recognition from the Disbursement Request menu.
Note: User must be logged into UCLA Network/VPN to access portal. Internet Explorer is NOT a supported browser for MyUCLA.
MyUCLA Message Center Alert SAO of an Approved portal request on the MyUCLA Message Center
1. Requestor must initiate the request using the Employee Recognition Portal on MyUCLA.
- Log into MyUCLA with a UCLA Logon ID and Password. Click on the Staff tab. Select Business and Finance Manager. Select Employee Recognition from the Disbursement Request menu. Ensure you are connected to a UCLA Network/VPN to access the portal.
- You will need to provide the department, gift card / e-code, accounting, and Department Head details and information in order to submit your request. Once submitted, the portal status will update to Submitted.
2. Department Head reviews the request on the Employee Recognition Portal.
- Once the request is submitted on portal, the Department Head must review/approve the request. The Department Head will receive an automated email with instructions to approve or reject the request via the Employee Recognition portal on MyUCLA.
- If the Department Head approves, the Requestor will receive an automated email with instructions on the next steps. The portal status will update to Approved.
- If the Department Head rejects, the Requestor will receive an an automated email with the Department Head’s rejection reason. The portal status will update to Rejected. The Requestor will have the option to edit the request and resubmit to the Department Head for approval.
3. Requestor alerts SAO of Approved portal request via the MyUCLA Message Center.
- When the portal request status is Approved, the Requestor must submit a case to SAO on the MyUCLA Message Center and include:
-The employee recognition portal request number in the subject line of the Message Center case
-An excel file of recipient names, UIDS, and amounts received attached to the Message Center case
4. SAO reviews the request and coordinates disbursement through the Message Center.
- If SAO approves the disbursement request, SAO will update the Message Center case to begin disbursement coordination. The portal status will update to Completed. Delivery for preferred gift cards will be made within ten (10) business days, from the time the Approved Message Center Case is submitted to SAO, and will only be released to the active, Authorized Personnel identified on the portal. Non-preferred gift card delivery may take up to four (4) weeks, depending on the vendor's processing and delivery schedule. Once disbursement is coordinated, the portal status will update to Disbursed.
- If SAO rejects the disbursement request, the Student Accounts Office (SAO) will update the Message Center case and the the portal status will update to SAORejected. The Requestor will no longer be able to edit the portal request and must initiate a new portal request if needed.
BruinCard Disbursement Instructions
BruinCard Merchants Review list of available BruinCard Merchants prior to submitting your request BruinCard Recharge Order Request Guide Step-by-step guide for submitting a Recharge Order Request BruinCard Recharge Order Request (ROR) Portal
Portal for completing Recharge Order Request for BruinCard non-cash award
If you need access, please contact your Data Systems Administrator.
1. Submit a BruinCard Recharge Order Request (ROR)
BruinCard payments are loaded onto a BruinCard stored value account (Easy Pay) and can be used by the cardholder at BruinCard Merchant locations.
Departments may initiate a Recharge Order Request (ROR) to BruinCard via the portal. Please review the BruinCard Recharge Order Request Guide for step-by-step instructions on submitting an ROR. Please note: ROR Portal access is granted by the department's DSA. The ROR portal requires active department participation in reviewing/approving portal steps, please monitor the portal.
Additional BruinCard Payment Information:
Denominations Any denomination Processing Time Ten (10) business days* Processing Fee $0.00 Refundable Once processed, BruinCard funds are not refundable to the department.
BruinCard stored value funds (Easy Pay) are available to cardholders as long as they are active members of the University. BruinCard funds cannot be redeemed for cash value.
Resources BruinCard Recharge Order Request Guide
BruinCard Recharge Order Request Portal (Access assigned by department DSA)
2. Submit Recipient Information for Disbursement Request
For under five recipients, enter each recipient's information directly on the ROR portal.
For over five recipients, please provide an Excel list with the names, university identification numbers (UIDs), and payment amounts for each recipient to BruinCard on the MyUCLA Message Center once your ROR has reached "Awaiting Pricing" status. Please include the E-Doc number in the subject of your message.
Please ensure the submitted recipient UIDs are correct; the department will be held financially responsible for deposit corrections.
3. Allocate FAU on ROR Portal
BruinCard will review your request within three (3) business days. BruinCard will then quote the ROR and the ROR portal status will become Pending FAU Allocation. The department will then need to allocate an FAU to the ROR on the portal. Please monitor your ROR portal status so that you can allocate an FAU as soon as possible and payment processing is not delayed. BruinCard payments cannot be deposited until this step has been completed.
4. BruinCard Payment Processing
Once an FAU has been allocated, the ROR will enter the Awaiting Fulfillment portal status.
The BruinCard Center requires up to five (5) additional business days to process payments once an FAU has been allocated. This timeline assumes all information (including an accurate recipient list) has been received. You will receive a notice via the MyUCLA Message Center (if a case was submitted) and the ROR portal will be updated to Recently Completed.
Please Ask BruinCard for questions related to BruinCard payment processing.
BruinCard Payment Process Map/Timeline
While the estimated time frame for BruinCard payments to be completed is up to four (4) weeks, timely fulfillment is dependent on the department's participation and accuracy in completing the required steps.
Process Responsible Party Fulfillment Time Initial ROR Submission Department ~One (1) Business Day Message Center Case Review Department & BruinCard Center ~Three (3) Business Days ROR FAU Allocation
~One (1) Business Day BruinCard Payment Processing BruinCard Center ~Five (5) Business Days