How to Submit a Research Payment Request
Disbursement requests for Research Payments are managed by Business and Finance Services (BFS) and, for Instructional Review Board (IRB) review, Office of the Human Research Protection Program (OHRPP). Research payments can be made in the form of cash, gift cards/E-codes, or BruinCard deposits.
Step 1: Adhere to University and IRS Regulations
- IRB review (approval or rejection) must be obtained with OHRPP before submitting a research disbursement request to BFS.
- The maximum disbursement at one time is $5,000. Requests for more than $5,000 at one time require additional time for review and approval.
- Each department must be in compliance with BUS-49 (Policy for Cash and Cash Equivalent Received), UCLA Policy 361 (Cash Handling and Security), and UCLA Safe Requirements (if storing cash/gift cards).
- To comply with IRS regulations, UCLA Accounts Payable must file a 1099 MISC form for research participants who receive $600.00 or more in research payments for the calendar year. Your department is responsible for providing a list of participants who meet this threshold, as well as collecting their W-9 form. You must hand deliver the list of payees (which should only contain the participant(s)' names, addresses, and amounts received) to Accounts Payable (Attn: Michelle Vides) or contact her ([email protected]) for any inquiries in regard to 1099 MISC.
- For awards that do not qualify as a research payment (IRB or Non-IRB) or an Employee Recognition Award, please contact UCLA Purchasing.
Step 2: Fill Out the Appropriate Research Payment Request Form(s)
|IRB APPROVED||PAYMENT TYPE||REQUIRED FORM(S)|
|Yes||Cash||IRB Research Payment Request (Cash)|
|Gift Card/E-code||IRB Research Payment Request (Gift Card/BruinCard Deposit)|
Non-IRB Research Payment Request (CASH) & OHRPP Rejection Letter
Non-IRB Research Payment Request (Gift Card/BruinCard Deposit) & OHRPP Rejection Letter
Non-IRB Research Payment Request (Gift Card/BruinCard Deposit) & OHRPP Rejection Letter & BruinCard Recharge Order Request (ROR)
To submit your form/documents, please follow the prompts on the Research Human Subject Disbursement Request form. Please fill out the most recent version of the required form(s) entirely and accurately, or your form will be rejected and payment processing will be delayed. If your request is IRB approved, indicate the current IRB approval number on the form. It must match the the payment type or the request will be rejected. If it does not match, please consult with OHRPP to consider an exception for the approval of your form.
Step 3: Cash and Gift Card Disbursement Processing
Please view the Gift Card Guide to view the cost, card type, and return policies associated with preferred and non-preferred gift cards prior to making your selection. Cash delivery terms and return policies are equivalent to those of preferred gift cards.
Delivery for cash and preferred gift cards will be made within ten (10) business days and will only be released to the current Fund Manager, Principle Investigator, or Authorized Personnel identified on the form. Non-preferred gift card/E-code delivery may take up to four (4) weeks, depending on the vendor's processing and delivery schedule.
Once your request is approved, a BFS representative will reach out to you to coordinate a Brink's delivery.
Step 4: BruinCard Disbursement Processing
PSC will send a copy of your approved research payment request form and recipient list to the BruinCard Center within ten (10) business days of receiving the required forms/documents.
Submit a Recharge Order Request to BruinCard (ROR). You will need to include the Edoc Number on your form and the disbursement will not be processed unless you complete this step. See the BruinCard Recharge Order Request guide for step-by-step instructions on submitting an ROR. Visit BruinCard to view a list of current BruinCard Merchants.
Depending on volume of deposits, the BruinCard Center requires up to three (3) additional business days to process payments once both the ROR and approved Disbursement Request Form from PSC are received. You will receive a notice via the MyUCLA Message center when the disbursement has been made.
BruinCard payments cannot be returned after the disbursement is made. If you made an error with a recipient's name, UID, or amount, please Ask BruinCard to see if any steps can be taken.